Bon Jovi: “Kids Today”

Via the Onion AV Club:

“Kids today have missed the whole experience of putting the headphones on, turning it up to 10, holding the jacket, closing their eyes and getting lost in an album; and the beauty of taking your allowance money and making a decision based on the jacket, not knowing what the record sounded like, and looking at a couple of still pictures and imagining it. God, it was a magical, magical time.”

Yes, and Bon Jovi himself missed out on the magical experience of the family gathering around the piano and sticking on the latest roll.

It’s called “nostalgia”, you pillock. We may be full of it here at NFI but are at least able to recognise it for the rose-tinted bullshit it so often is.

Comments
9 Responses to “Bon Jovi: “Kids Today””
  1. Spann says:

So basically, what he’s saying is “Nowadays, kids have to take their allowance money and make a decision based on listening to songs off the album and deciding if they like it.

What a cunt.

He reminds me of these pricks: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12209143

How fucking dare you tell somebody that the way THEY listen to music is wrong? Fuck you.

This makes me really angry, this idea that there is somehow a ‘wrong’ way to listen to music. If you want to sit and listen to an entire album, that’s fine, just don’t go complaining about people who don’t.

2. Shaun CG says:

It’s all pretty fucking silly, in truth. A bunch of King Canutes sitting about shouting that having the choice to listen to music the way you want is bad because it wasn’t like that in their day.

Generally I let it wash over and around me but when you see the chance for a pop at Bon Jovi you’ve gotta take it. Besides, he’s fucked by the modern systems because his albums have always been mostly filler.

3. Spann says:

Plus, do you think someone like The Unseen, for example, want you to ‘get lost’ in their music? Fuck no, they want you to buy the CDs so you can shout the words back at them when you see them live.

Horses for courses. It pisses me off when people assume that because someone has a different opinion to them, they are wrong.

4. Shaun CG says:

Oh yeah, totally. I wouldn’t listen to the Casualties in the same way that I’d listen to Explosions in the Sky, any more than I’d listen to an LP the same way I do my iPod. That’s not to say one or another involves any more or less passion, thought or engagement… that’s wholly contingent on the listener.

The only point I will accept as having any validity in this debate is that listening to vinyl *tends* to be a more engaged process as it’s got a sort of tactile quality to it, and you have to flip the records every so often – or change the wax really regularly if you’re listening to singles – whereas you can easily drop out and do other stuff if you stick on an MP3 playlist. But equally I use an MP3 playlist for the bulk of my reviews and it would be difficult to argue that that’s not a deliberate, thoughtful and engaged way to listen to music.

5. Joe says:

You can’t really expect an aging rockstar to display anything approaching cultural relevance, to the extent where I think the phrase ‘as irrevelant as an aging rockstar’ is probably a fairly strong and instantly understandable simile. I get far more annoyed when I hear people in their 20s who are into more underground music start banging on about ‘the kids these days’ without any irony, it just smacks of uninvolvement and complacency. Luckily, prescriptivism usually loses.

6. Shaun CG says:

I think I know what you mean Joe. It’s very easy to just dismiss something on the basis of not understanding it, and by the time you’re in your twenties you can’t really expect to understand what ‘the kidz’ are into without making any effort to do so.

7. Rachel says:

I don’t think I got the memo that Mr Bon Jovi got where it said that CDs and Vinyl were no longer being sold and that having a MP3 playlist in track order was banned.

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a CD soley on the basis of the cover art. Because that’s dangerously wasteful when it comes to spending your pocket money.

8. Shaun CG says:

Haha, well exactly!

Yeah, there are some records with artwork I like a hell of a lot more than the music that’s on them, that’s for sure.

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] Bon Jovi may have raised my ire, but at the end of the day he’s just one of many rock dinosaurs stomping creakily around, peering confusedly at the scurrying, productive mammals underfoot, and as such deserves only mild scorn and gentle mocking. […]